Saturday, May 26, 2012

Old Mission Portland Cement Co. erected a cement plant just outside the town of San Juan Bautista in 1903. This helped keep open the Saloon in San Juan Bautista. This is one of several stories I tell the tourists and locals who come into our Saloon. A couple railroads were established to transport the lime from three locations in San Benito County. A narrowgauge railroad was establish, and later a broadgauge railroad from the plant to Chittenden on the Southern Pacific Central Railroad.
(quarriesandbeyond.org)

The information was compiled by Peggy B. Perazzo and the web master is George (Pat) Perazzo.

1 comment:

  1. There is another picture on google images that looks like the cement plant I remember but the picture of this one is too big to fit in the canyon. Do you know where this one might be? I've lived up the San Juan Canyon my entire life and I'm 61, I just don't see how this could be the right cement plant but the other one fits and looks right. Can you tell me more?

    ReplyDelete